Shares of QUALCOMM, Inc. (NASDAQ:QCOM) ended Tuesday session in green amid volatile trading. The shares closed up +1.00 points or 1.60% at $63.31 with 5.23 million shares getting traded. Post opening the session at $62.53, the shares hit an intraday low of $62.44 and an intraday high of $63.36 and the price vacillated in this range throughout the day. The company has a market cap of $92.17 billion and the numbers of outstanding shares have been calculated to be 1.47 billion shares.
On Sept. 6, 2016 Qualcomm Incorporated (QCOM) and Virginia Tech begin a multi-year collaboration this fall with the launch of the Qualcomm® Thinkabit Lab™ at Virginia Tech’s Northern Virginia Center in Falls Church.
The Thinkabit Lab experience offers both teachers and students an engaging learning environment—part lab, makerspace and classroom—to foster creativity, collaboration and the critical skills necessary for the 21st century. The new Thinkabit Lab is led by Virginia Tech’s Department of Engineering Education in the College of Engineering and School of Education in the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, based on Qualcomm’s World of Work and STEM coursework.
Residing in the National Capital Region, the lab is Qualcomm’s first outside of San Diego, servicing underserved students, students underrepresented in STEM careers, and teachers from the metro Washington D.C. area. For some students, the Thinkabit Lab experience will offer a first introduction to hands-on STEM learning and real-world careers.
“The work that Qualcomm and Virginia Tech are doing at the new Thinkabit Lab is remarkable,” said Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf. “Beyond being a space to inspire the next generation of inventors, it will allow to us to leverage the expertise of both organizations, and through research and practical application, we will bring new advancements to STEM education at all levels.”
Shares of Corning Incorporated (NYSE:GLW) ended Tuesday session in green amid volatile trading. The shares closed up +0.34 points or 1.43% at $23.33 with 10.19 million shares getting traded. Post opening the session at $22.99, the shares hit an intraday low of $22.96 and an intraday high of $23.35 and the price vacillated in this range throughout the day. The company has a market cap of $24.22 billion and the numbers of outstanding shares have been calculated to be 1.04 billion shares.
Corning Incorporated (GLW) on JULY 27, 2016 announced its results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2016.
- Q2 GAAP EPS up $2.23 sequentially to $1.87, reflecting a one-time $2.7 billion non-taxable gain on strategic realignment of Dow Corning; core EPS up $0.09, or 32% sequentially, to $0.37; Q2 GAAP and core sales increased sequentially
- Optical Communications sales increased 28% sequentially on strong demand and cable production recovery, exceeding management expectations
- Corporate gross margin exceeded guidance by more than one percentage point, benefiting from higher sales and operational improvements in Optical Communications
- Strategic realignment of Dow Corning Corporation was a significant milestone in focusing Corning`s portfolio, and added $4.8 billion in cash
- Sales and EPS expected to grow both sequentially and on year-over-year basis in Q3
- New $2 billion accelerated share repurchase further advances Strategy and Capital Allocation Framework
“The sequential improvement surpassed our expectations and reflects increasing momentum in our businesses that we expect to continue through the second half of this year. We anticipate both sequential and year-over-year sales and EPS growth in the third quarter,” Wendell P. Weeks, chairman, chief executive officer, and president, said.